Free Email Login
here to Sign up
Lawrence County was created October
21, 1817, by an act of the Tennessee General Assembly from mostly Indian
Territory as a result of the Treaty of 1816 with the Chickasaw Indians.
The county seat, Lawrenceburg, was
chosen in 1819 because of its proximity to the center of the county and
the fact that Jackson's Military Road ran on the eastern edge of the town.
In April, 1821, the road was changed to go through the center of the town.
This road was a major thoroughfare
from Natchez, Mississippi, to Nashville, Tennessee, and has played a significant
role in the development of the county. The county and county seat were
both named in honor of Captain James Lawrence, U.S. Naval hero of the War
One of the first commissioners and
justices of the peace from Lawrence County was David Crockett. He ran a
water-powered grist mill, powder mill and distillery in the area of the
county that is now David Crockett State Park.
Although he was only here
for four or five years, David Crockett had a tremendous impact on the county
and is a main attraction for tourists.